Our friend Rachel visited last week and brought us fresh garlic, lots of Italian eggplant and fresh herbs from her Dad’s vegetable garden in Niagara on the Lake. With the abundance of eggplant, fresh garlic and a craving for a savoury snack, we could think of nothing better to make than Baba Ganouj. It’s perfect for dipping and spreading on veggies, crackers, pita, even sandwiches.
Usually Baba Ganouj is made with the typical pear/oblong shaped eggplant but we thought we would give it a try with the Italian eggplants Rachel brought instead. The result ? A creamier than ever Baba Ganouj that’s light and almost mousse-like in texture. We loved it! Thanks Rach!
- 4 Italian Eggplants
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice eggplant in half and place face up on a baking tray
- Place tray in oven and cook eggplant for 30 min or until soft
- Once soft, remove from oven and let the eggplant cool down.
- Remove flesh from eggplant skin and place into food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy as a dip for veggies, pita, crackers etc or spread on a sandwich.