Next up in our holiday cookie series, we have these lovely shortbreads made with brown sugar and a touch of Garam Masala, a spice blend often found in Indian style curry.
If you’ve never tried this comforting and aromatic blend of spices, don’t be afraid to try it out. It is a blend of spices including many that we are familiar baking with already. In it you’ll usually find a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, cumin and a bit of black pepper. It really adds something special to these classic cookies and they’ll go perfectly with eggnog , chai tea, or hot apple cider. We loved them so much that this is definitely a cookie recipe we will make again and again, regardless of the season.
Here we’ve modified a basic shortbread recipe from our good old Betty Crocker cookbook
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup BROWN sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar (with electric mixer on medium or by hand)
- Add Garam Masala and combine
- Stir in flour slowly (if dough ends up too crumbly, add more butter)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough and stamp out cookies with a cookie cutter
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake 12-14 min or until set
- Remove from pan and rest on wire rack
Drink Pairing: perfect with eggnog, spiced chai or hot apple cider