We’ve been trying to cut back on our meat eating ways lately to live a more sustainable life. Every little bit counts and it IS possible to whip up an amazing, flavourful and hearty vegetarian meal at home.
What we like most about trying to eat more vegetarian meals is that it forces us to be more creative and experimental in the kitchen. This recipe for example, came from such an experiment.
Let us introduce to you one of our new vegetarian favourites: Dinner Pancakes! Made of two types of quinoa, sauteed mushrooms and parmesan cheese these little cakes are just as filling as they are savoury and delicious.
Hand pressed into patties and then fried stovetop, they are crispy on the outside and soft and cheesy on the inside. Top with fresh basil and you’ve got an awesome main course, appetizer or even party food if you make them bite sized.
They’re so delicious you’ll eat them right up!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa of your choice (we used a mix of white and red)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sauteed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside to cool
- Sauté mushrooms until golden brown, set aside to cool
- With your hands, combine all ingredients above (except basil) in a large mixing bowl
- Form mixture into patties with your hands (like you’re making burgers)
- Cook patties in a frying pan on medium heat until crispy on the outside (about 5 min/side)
- Serve topped with fresh basil