Valentine’s Day isn’t just for your significant other, it’s also a day to show friends, family, co-workers, neighbours etc. your love for them too. This year, we’ve decided to make edible Valentines in the form of heart shaped macarons. They’re an elegant, decadent Valentine treat that are sure to warm the heart of those you give them to, and sure to keep you on their mind long after.
Since we aren’t master French bakers, we went to our go-to source for foolproof baking recipes- Mrs. Martha Stewart for the macaron recipe. The buttercream is of our own creation.
Enjoy your edible valentines with a nice cup of coffee or a glass of champagne!
Make these at least a day ahead as they can be a bit finicky (if it’s your first time making these, it might take a couple tries to get it right) and also taste better after sitting for a day or two.
Recipe by Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/318387/french-macaroons
Additional Directions & Modifications:
- Follow recipe link above exactly as they are written (these things are finicky)
- Add some red food colouring when you combine egg whites and almond/icing sugar mixture until you have a nice pink colour.
- Instead of piping round macarons, we made heart shapes roughly 1″ wide. Try to be as consistent in size and shape as possible.
- Follow the rest of the directions in the link above exactly as they are written.
- Sifting ingredients is a very important step- don’t skip it and do it throughly
- Make sure you whip the egg whites enough! If you don’t, you’ll have flat cookies.
- Tapping the tray to remove air bubbles is also essential- don’t worry they won’t get messed up during this step, it will save them from messing up in the oven
- You might have to adjust baking time depending on your oven, look and touch to check for doneness
- You might have to lengthen baking time depending on the amount of food colouring you use (lots of food colouring can make them take longer)
White Chocolate Strawberry Buttercream Filling
- 3 bricks (about 150g) Baker’s brand white chocolate
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- Cream butter and sugar together
- Add Strawberry Jam
- Melt white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water (double boiler set up), stirring frequently so chocolate doesn’t burn (it can happen fast!)
- Transfer melted white chocolate to butter/sugar/jam mixture & mix well to throughly incorporate
- Refridgerate 20-30 min
- Use as the filling for your heart shaped macarons