Fresh spring rolls are great anytime, but they are especially good as a light & fresh summer app. For our spin on these Vietnamese inspired rolls we use ginger marinated shrimp, ripe Ontario peaches, fresh mint, basil, lettuce and veggies. Make these for your labour day weekend party, for a light anytime snack or even make them ahead and pack them as a light and healthy lunch.
INGREDIENTS makes 6 rolls
for the marinade
- 1″ long chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- dash of salt
- 12 raw large shrimp, shelled, de-viened & tails removed
for the rest
- 6 rice paper spring roll wraps
- 1 red pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 english cucumber seeded and sliced into thin strips about 3″ long
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin strips about 3″ long
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, whole
- 18-20 mint leaves, removed from stems
- 3-4 leaves of iceburg lettuce, torn up into pieces
- 2 large peaches, pitted and sliced
- Combine all marinade ingredients above in a medium bowl, stir, and set aside at room temperature for 15 min.
- Remove Shrimp from marinade and cook on a pre-heated skillet or on the BBQ, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop veggies & herbs.
- Once all prep is done, take 1 piece of rice paper and run under warm water for 20-30 seconds and then lay flat on a clean cutting board. Let sit for another 30 sec or until it softens.
- On top of the rice paper, directly in the center, place 1 piece of lettuce, 1 large basil leaf, 3 mint leaves, 2 pieces of red pepper, 2 pieces of carrot, 2 pieces of cucumber, 3 slices of peach and 2 shrimp.
- Once all ingredients have been carefully placed, fold in the left and right sides of the rice paper and then roll like you would a burrito. It may take a few first attempts until you get it right but don’t sweat if you screw up just start again with a fresh piece of rice paper.
- Repeat to make 6 fresh rolls.
- Slice spring rolls in half and serve with your favourite sweet chili sauce.