Summer days call for simple meals that don’t require too much effort and yet still pack a flavourful punch. As we all migrate outside to enjoy the warm weather, the BBQ takes over as our main cooking tool. Below is the recipe for one of our favourite summer dishes done on the BBQ: Grilled Calamari that’s done in a Lemon, Garlic and Oregano marinade and cooked in a grill basket on the BBQ. Enjoy them on their own (they sure are tasty enough) or make a light meal or appetizer by placing some on top of a nice green salad like we did.
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ of the juice of one large lemon
- ½ tbsb fresh oregano
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 FRESH baby squid, tentacle part only heads removed and discarded. If they make you squeamish, this would also work with the body of the squid.
- Pre-heat BBQ on medium-high heat
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and marinate squid for 5 min
- Cook for 5-7 min in a grilling basket until tentacles curl and crisp slightly
- Enjoy on their own or on top of a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes