Canadian Thanksgiving might be over, but that doesn’t mean you have to leave those yummy thanksgiving flavours behind! These pumpkin muffins are a spin off of these delicious ones we get at a local cafe called Lit. One day we decided, instead of walking down to the cafe to buy one (it was raining and cold out), we’d try making our own! While we admit, they aren’t exactly the same, we enjoy them just as much! An added bonus, they do not include any dairy or butter so they are both low in fat and safe for those with lactose intolerance. Make these ahead for a great breakfast on the go, they taste great with a good cup of coffee or Chai tea.
INGREDIENTS makes 12 medium sized muffins
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- handful of raw pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand up mixer, combine all wet ingredients.
- In another bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (except pumpkin seeds, save those to top muffins with).
- With the mixer on meduim, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined (but be careful not to over work). If you don’t have a mixer, you can do this by hand.
- Scoop batter into a lined muffin tray and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 25-30min or until you can insert a toothpick into the centre of a muffin and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow muffins to cool and enjoy!