With the new year here, we are all setting resolutions and goals to eat and be healthier. After stuffing our faces and indulging on rich foods and sweets over the holidays, it’s time to clean up our diets and start fresh. Today we share one of our new favourite & super healthy addictions- Marinated Kale Salad.
Some of you might be thinking… “Ewwww Kale?!” but don’t knock it till you try this recipe.
If you’ve never had Kale before, this is the perfect way to introduce it into your diet. Kale normally has a strong peppery & bitter flavour but by marinating it in a lemony dressing, it takes away that bitterness that turns most people off of this wonderfully healthy green. This recipe is very simple and once you start eating it, you just can’t stop.
The best part? No guilt! This salad is the perfect balance of good for you and great tasting.
- 1 bunch of Kale
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp good seedy mustard- we used a Toronto local favourite- Kozlik’s Triple Crunch
- 1/2 cup of good olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash & dry Kale in a salad spinner
- Using a sharp knife, remove stems from Kale and discard
- Chop Kale into bite sized pieces and put into a large container
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over Kale
- Put lid on container and shake until Kale is coated
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours (max 1 day).
Note: Don’t be alarmed letting it sit. This is one salad that actually gets better the longer it sits! The Kale holds up nicely and remains crunchy but takes on the lemony flavour of the dressing. It’s best if eaten after 4 hours and up to 24 hours after it is made. We hope you enjoy this way of incorporating this healthy green into your diet.