No matter what, grilled cheese sandwiches will always be one of our all time favourites. To satisfy a grilled cheese craving last weekend, we decided to get creative and use whatever ingredients we had in the fridge to make a totally epic grilled cheese that we’ve never had before. The great thing about grilled cheese is that you can make it as simple or as fancy as you like and it’s always going to taste great. As long as your two main ingredients remain good bread and lots of cheese, you really can’t go wrong. So next time you’re craving a grilled cheese, get creative!
For this particular grilled cheese we mixed a nice Ricotta cheese with some shredded aged cheddar, spread it on garlic rubbed sourdough toast, and topped with thin slices of ripe tomato. The result, is a creamier, gooey-er grilled cheese with a slight hint of garlic and tomato. Yum, Yum YUM!
INGREDIENTS (for one sandwich)
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 thin slices of ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- large handful of shredded old/aged cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- butter to butter bread slices
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- On the stovetop, heat up frying pan on medium heat
- Lightly butter both sides of each bread slice
- Lightly toast each side of each slice of bread, remove from pan
- Take garlic clove and smash it with the side of a wide knife to release juices
- Take garlic clove in your fingers and rub on 1 side of each slice of bread (this adds a slight garlic flavour that won’t over power the cheese)
- Mix cheeses together in a bowl
- Place 1 piece of bread, garlicy side up back into the pan, scoop cheese mixture on top
- Place tomato slices on top of cheese
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
- Top with remaining slice of bread (garlic side down)
- Once bottom slice of bread is well toasted, carefully flip over and toast the other side
- Remove from pan when final side is toasted and cheese is nicely melted
- Slice in half (let it cool down a bit) and enjoy!