When we think of cookies, we usually think of something sweet. During the holiday season we are bombarded by sweet treats. Chocolate, cookies, candy canes, just to name a few, and so this week in the delishsis kitchen, we decided to try a little experiment- savoury cookies.
In going with our theme this week of shaking up traditional shortbread cookie recipes, we created this savoury Asiago & Pesto cookie. It might sound strange- pesto and cheese in a shortbread cookie?- but we promise you’ll love this savoury cheesy cookie that tastes more like gourmet cracker. It will be a welcomed change on the dessert table, at the office or in a cookie swap. We hope you try it, and enjoy it this holiday season!
Again, we’ve used a shortbread cookie recipe from our good old Betty Crocker cookbook and made some modifications.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups of finely grated Asiago cheese
- 1/2 tsp pesto (or if you want a more intense pesto flavour bump it up to 1 tsp)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar (with electric mixer on medium or by hand)
- Add pesto an cheese and combine
- Stir in flour slowly (if dough ends up too crumbly, add more butter)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough and stamp out cookies with a cookie cutter
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet
- Sprinkle with some extra cheese
- Bake 12-14 min or until set
- Remove from pan and rest on wire rack