It’s mid summer and our tomato plants are growing like weeds! Not all of them are ready yet but it inspired us to grab some fresh local tomatoes at the market down the street. We are both tomato soup lovers but we just weren’t feeling it with the hot muggy weather outside. We thought about making tomato sauce but slaving over the stove and heating up the apartment wasn’t appealing either. Instead, we decided to try making Gazpacho (aka cold soup) to satisfy our tomato craving and cool us off in the heat. We invited some friends over and enjoyed this tomatoey treat outside served in little shot glasses with some other simple aps.
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 large tomatoes, cored and diced into cubes
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- s & p to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cucumber cored, cubed and seeded but not peeled
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 1 large tomato, cored, cubed and seeds removed.
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients into a blender or food processor (depending on size, you may have to do it in batches). Blend until smooth or until at a texture you desire.
2. Add cumin and salt and pepper and blend to incorporate.
3. Combine all garnish ingredients into a bowl and mix.
4. Serve in shot glasses or in bowls. Garnish with mixed veg and top up with cold soup.