This year, one of our New Years resolutions is to waste less food. Over and over again we read headlines about how roughly half of the world’s food going to waste and this has made us much more conscious of how much food we waste in our own homes. So far, it’s going really well and we are actually enjoying forcing ourselves to make meals from what we’ve got left in the fridge rather than running out to buy more. It makes us to think more creatively in the kitchen and come up with stuff we wouldn’t normally think of, such as this soup we’ve decided to share with you today.
This Roasted Cauliflower and Jalapeno Soup is creamy with a slight spicy kick. It’s vegan so it’s creaminess comes naturally from the roasted cauliflower and not from dairy. To keep it a vegan soup, we garnished it with chopped jalapenos. However (for the meat eaters out there) we think chopped bacon and some shredded cheese would taste amazing!
We hope you enjoy this soup that came out of our resolution to waste less food. We hope we inspire you to get creative and do the same!
makes 4 large or 6 small bowls of soup
- 1 large head of cauliflower, leaves removed and chopped into large chunks
- 1L of Vegetable broth
- 1 jalapeno diced into small pieces, seeds removed (taste it first to check spicyness, adjust accordingly to your taste)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalks of celery, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Place cauliflower chunks onto a baking sheet, season w/ salt and pepper and put in the oven to roast
- Roast for 20 min or until cauliflower has started to brown around the edges (the size of the chunks will either increase or decrease cooking time)
- Remove cauliflower from oven and let sit
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil
- Add onion, celery and jalapeno
- Cook for 5 min or until really fragrant, stirring frequently
- Add Cauliflower chunks and stir around
- Add vegetable broth and raise heat to high
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer
- Simmer for 5 min and remove from heat
- Let cool and then blend in blender, food processor or with hand blender
- Return to pot and re-heat
- Serve and enjoy!