Our dad makes this great dessert with strawberries, black pepper and a bit Sambuca, flambeed and served hot. We absolutely loved this dish as kids served on top of vanilla ice cream and enjoyed the show when dad would light the pan on fire to finish off the dish. That dessert introduced us to the sweet and peppery combination of strawberries and black pepper, which we still love today. This Strawberry Black Pepper Chutney was inspired by dad’s flambeed Strawberry Black Pepper dessert and is delicious served on vanilla ice cream, on the side of a cheese plate, on a crostini with goat or ricotta cheese, or on top of baked brie like we did.
- 1 quart of freshly picked Ontario Strawberries, hulled & coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup of fine sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of fresh coarsely ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium, stirring frequently until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for about 10 min or until thickened.
- Enjoy with baked brie (as shown in photo) or however you like!
This recipe is great for canning! We made a triple batch of this and canned it for future parties and gifts.