Thanksgiving is just days away and although it’s a time where most people get together with family for a huge feast, sometimes it’s just not possible to get everyone together. Whether you are away at school, travelling abroad (or like us have a weekend jammed packed with weddings), we aren’t always able to join in on the festivities.
While most people who can’t attend their family’s big dinner just go without the turkey, stuffing and all the fixings, we couldn’t stand the thought of not having a turkey dinner this Thanksgiving. We created this recipe for those of you who want all of those thankgiving flavours but don’t have an army to feed.
We took our Mom’s stuffing recipe with apples, fresh thyme, sage, onion and crusty bread, added some double smoked bacon (because it makes EVERYTHING better) and then stuffed that into a Turkey breast. To complete the meal, serve with mashed potatoes and seasonal veggies. Recipe Below.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 McIntosh Apples
- about 1/3 of a baguette or french bread, torn into chunks
- 4 pieces of thick cut, double smoked bacon, cut into chunks
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- small handful of fresh thyme (stems removed)
- salt and pepper
- 1, skinless, boneless turkey breast
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Season turkey breast with s&p and sear each side of the turkey breast in a non stick skillet on high temp until nicely browned on each side, remove from pan and set aside
- In a cast iron pan, cook bacon chunks on medium/low heat, remove bacon and set aside (leave the bacon grease in the pan, that’s extra flavour and we substituted that for butter found in most stuffing recipes)
- Dice onion and cook on medium in bacon grease for a few minutes
- Add diced apples and cook with onions until onion is translucent and apples start to soften
- Add bread chunks and spices
- Lightly toss & cook in the pan for 5 min to coat bread and combine flavours, set aside
- Going back to the turkey breast, with a sharp knife, make a slit horizontally, lengthwise on the turkey breast to make a pocket for the stuffing
- Stuff pocket with stuffing mixture
- Tie with butchers twine to secure stuffing inside the breast
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 min
- Remove from oven, cut & remove butchers twine, slice and enjoy with mashed potatoes and seasonal veggies!