When we think of the perfect summer meal, there isn’t much that can top a good fish taco. The combination of light, flaky fish, soft corn tortilla and bright, crsip toppings can’t be beat. We recently went to one of Toronto’s best known taco spots “La Carnita” and were inspired to try our own version of the famous fish taco with a unique twist- Ontario yellow plum salsa.
First, we topped fresh Cod fillets with a spice rub and baked them in the oven.
Next, we made our own corn flour tortillas from scratch. Nothing quite beats warm, homemade tortillas and they are well worth the extra effort!
Finally, we made a salsa from Ontario yellow plums, jalapeño and red onion. The tart and slightly sweet yellow plums really add a nice flavourful punch to this dish. We added shredded cabbage for extra crunch and texture and a squeeze of fresh lime to top it all off.
We hope you enjoy our fish tacos as much as we did! The salsa is also great served on it’s own with some tortilla chips, or on top of salmon like we did here.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 8 small fillets of cod (or any other mild flavoured white fish)
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cajun spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 of a small head of green cabbage
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of chopped cilantro
Ontario Yellow Plum Salsa:
- 1o Ontario yellow plums
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 tbsp sugar
Corn Tortillias: (follow package instructions)
- pre-heat oven to 350 F
- pat fish with a paper towel to remove any excess water (do this especially when using frozen fish)
- mix spices listed above
- rub spices on both sides of the fish fillets and place fish on a non-stick baking tray
- bake fish in the oven for approximately 20 min or until fish is flaky in texture
- slice head of cabbage in half, set aside one half for future use
- shred or slice remaining 1/2 of cabbage finely
- chop cilantro
- throw shredded cabbage and cilantro into a mixing bowl, add lime juice and set aside
Ontario Yellow Plum Salsa
- chop all ingredients, mix in a mixing bowl and set aside
*Note: Depending on the tartness of the plums you use, you may have to use slightly more sugar aim for slightly sweet but not overpowering. You still should be able to taste the tartness of the plums.
- for the dough, follow directions on corn flour package for 1 batch of tortillas. We used the brand “Maseca” – find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
- form small balls (size of a ping pong ball) in your hands, roll out to flatten (or ideally use a press)
- cook stovetop in a frying pan (cast iron is best but non-stick will do)
- cook each side for 2-3 min similar to a pancake
- wrap cooked tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm
Taco Assembly: Top 1 tortilla with 1/2 a fish fillet, cabbage slaw and a spoonful of salsa. Hot sauce, sour cream and guac also make great additions.